Monday, January 08, 2007

Muffin Top?

"Lynneguist," who runs the delightful separated by a common language blog, announces her Words of the Year 2006. Pretty interesting, but I have a problem with "the winner of best AmE import to BrE":
muffin top
the roll of fat that bulges over the waistband of (BrE) trousers/(AmE) pants that are too tight and too low
I think it is a wonderfully descriptive term, but my problem is that I don't think I've ever heard the term in America (or anywhere else) before. So it just doesn't feel to me like an export for the Brits to import.

But maybe the problem I have is with me....

1 comment:

lynneguist said...

Stephen, you're just not reading the right magazines. :)

That said, I've never heard anyone use the American Dialect Society's Word of the Year, plutoed